For immediate placement, we are currently looking for a head of division for our “flight techniques for projectiles” division (m/f).
The division is in charge of research studies in the fields of flight techniques for projectiles and especially tube-launched, precision-guided munition for ground-to-ground and ground-to-air defence applications. The following technological components related to these research activities will be investigated:
- Innovative aerodynamic control architectures and devices for trajectories
- System analysis and development of guidance, navigation and control algorithms
- Gun-hardened and cost-efficient navigation units (IMU, IMU and GNSS coupling, IMU and vision coupling)
- Bidirectional communication systems as well as gun-hardened and cost-efficient telemetry systems
In order to meet current scientific requirements, the division is divided into four different scientific groups complementing one another: AMS (aerodynamics, measurements and simulations), ABX (aerodynamics and external ballistics), STC (sensors, telemetry and communication) and GNC (guidance, navigation and control).
Your new tasks and responsibilities – challenging and future-oriented:
- Managing the division “flight techniques for projectiles” including staff and resources
- Preparing the division’s work programme, determining the investments required as well as the operating budget, managing the division’s human resources (transfers, recruiting, interns, PhD students, activities of the technicians in the division workshops)
- Executing decisions of the Directors regarding research organisation and resource management
- Ensuring communication within the division
- Managing the scientific work programme of the four groups
- Active participation in the different comities
- Planning research and resources in the medium term
- Taking responsibility for the research topic including the corresponding activities of the division: defining and controlling the work programme, the balance sheets and organising strategic research meetings
- Coordinating research activities by ensuring that the research framework set by France and Germany is duly taken into account
- Contributing to ISL’s orientation towards Europe within the areas of your division
- Promoting research results obtained by your division (patents, contracts, publications)
- Establishing cooperation projects with the industry, other research institutes and universities
- Cooperating with the other groups and divisions of ISL
Your qualifications – solid and appropriate:
- University degree in engineering and a PhD, a qualification for directing research would be appreciated
Knowledge and experience on the following fields would be appreciated:
- You are an excellent manager knowing how to implement modern management methods and showing initiative. You are able to motivate your co-workers and attach great importance to integrity. You have great conflict management skills as well as service-oriented communication skills allowing you to work in an interdisciplinary and heterogeneous environment
- Your ability to understand all the subjects of your division makes you stand out
- You have a good knowledge of the armaments sector in general and of the army in particular (knowledge of aerodynamics, guidance, navigation and control appreciated)
- You have gained experience in French-German cooperation within the armaments sector and as well as in national and international relations with French and German governmental authorities, the industry, institutes and universities
- Innovative skills in project and scientific management make you stand out
- High self-confidence in order to work closely with internal and external partners
- Perfect command of English, German and French appreciated
- Outstanding leadership skills
We propose to employ you on a open-ended contract.
We offer attractive remuneration, flexible work arrangements and many opportunities for vocational training und further development.
If this challenging description fits your profile, we are looking forward to receiving your complete application, mentioning the following keyword: “Div-II”.