For immediate placement, we are currently looking for an Engineer for Acoustic embedded systems (m/f).
In the fields of defence and security acoustic detection is used to detect and localise sounds of interest (gun shots, explosions). The fact that the propagation channel substantially affects the signature measured by the sensor(s) is a key challenge.
Our team is part of the ISL-department “Acoustics and soldier protection”. We conduct top-level research on the effects of sound propagation and on the development of robust detection systems. We recently suggested an innovative processing method for acoustic detection in difficult environments. This method is based on a system made of distributed synchronous acoustic modules carrying onboard intelligence and communicating with a PC.
You will be in charge of the development of a prototype using the processing method described above. This includes:
- Monitoring the hardware manufacturing by a subcontractor,
- Implementation of specific software processing,
- System evolution: tests, concepts and integration of improvements,
- Creation of the technical documentation and databases.
You will be working with a team (scientific steering, electronic support and metrological testing) and will be in contact with our different partners (other ISL groups, companies).
You are willing to get involved in an innovative project and to follow the development of a prototype from the very beginning of its conception to the functional demonstration tests. Your know-how is based on at least some of the following key-words:
- Embedded system, microprocessor like Raspberry Pi,
- Scientific and real-time programming (OS Linux, programming languages C and Python)
- Recording and processing of acoustic and audio signals (measurement, frequency analysis),
- Network and communication protocols (esp.: LoRa)
Language skills: French or German, good knowledge of English
We propose to employ you on a fixed-term contract for four years with possibility of renewal.
We offer attractive remuneration, flexible work arrangements and many opportunities for vocational training und further development.
If this challenging description fits your profile, we are looking forward to receiving your complete application, mentioning the following keyword: “APC-I”.