For immediate placement, we are currently looking for a Research scientist in the field of dynamic mechanical behaviour of brittle materials (m/f).
The current needs for conception and optimisation of complex structures exposed to stress at high strain rates lead to the development of more and more sophisticated numerical models. Besides the purely numerical considerations necessary to obtain a reliable simulation, the most important aspect is modelling the material behaviour (deformation and rupture) at high strain rates and under complex stress conditions. Only an accurate description of the behaviour allows the detailed description of the mechanisms involved. Before evaluating the mechanical performance of a complex structure, it is necessary to study each of the materials used as components.
The study conducted by the researcher will focus in particular on the dynamic mechanical response of brittle materials (like ceramics) under extreme stress during impacts. The aim is to make use of experimental and numerical tools that are necessary for the identification of suitable models of materials. Those models take into account the evolution of the stress state under highly dynamic conditions.
Your new tasks and responsibilities – challenging and future-oriented:
- Developing and validating new systems and tools for dynamic mechanical or impact testing
- Experimental studies of material behaviour (deformation and rupture) while taking into account their sensitivity to strain rates, confining pressure etc.(through quasi static tests, Hopkinson--bar test, impact of plates, etc.)
- Identifying the laws of behaviour and the criteria for rupture under the studied stress conditions; determining the involved parameters
- Numerical simulation of conducted mechanical tests: validating the modelling of materials by comparing numerical and experimental results.
- Including problems associated with systems for ballistic protection, and working with the groups in charge of this topic at the ISL (multi-material composites, ballistic evaluation, definition of tests, etc.)
- Guaranteeing the follow-up and management of the contractual research
- Supervising students within the scope of internships and PhD theses
- Working in a team with international and multicultural background
- Drawing up progress and synthesis reports
- Proposing and drawing up research projects
- Developing collaborations with other laboratories in France and abroad
- Promoting the scientific results (in articles, at conferences, in working groups, etc.)
Your qualifications – solid and appropriate:
- PhD degree in science
Your knowledge and experiences:
- Skills in mechanical characterisation of materials at high strain rates, preferably ceramics
- Knowledge in the field of mechanics of materials
- Knowledge in the field of finite element modelling (ABAQUS/Explicit, LS-Dyna)
- First professional experience in the field of the research strongly desired (Post-doc or private sector)
- English communication is a must. Optional: Knowledge of French and/or German
- Proactive, autonomous, inquisitive, dynamic, communicative personality
We propose to employ you on a fixed-term contract for five years with possibility of renewal.
We offer attractive remuneration, flexible work arrangements and many opportunities for vocational training und further development.
If this challenging description fits your profile, we are looking forward to receiving your complete application, mentioning the following keyword: “AMT-S”.